Sunday, October 23, 2011

What it takes to write.

For me, I have found that I cannot write a good essay or paper unless I have done something on paper first.

Whether that be by brainstorming or writing the actual essay itself, I cannot seem to do it on the computer. You open a blank Microsoft Word document, ideas fresh and ready to be formed, and are met with...the cursor. It sits there, blinking, as though it's impatiently waiting for you to get started. 

Well? What are you going to say? Why haven't you started saying it yet? Type! Type, I say! I don't have all day! Well?!

Yeah. It judges you, and it rushes you. That stupid blinking cursor. 

Paper & an old fashioned pencil never judge. They wait patiently for ideas to come flowing out, and let you write wherever and how ever you want. I tend to brainstorm with a paper and pencil, and then put those ideas  on the computer in a document after that. I can't even proofread without reading it on paper. Mistakes just don't jump out at me on a illuminated screen the way they do after the paper is fresh out of the printer.

Of course, I do have those days where I simply cannot do anything, whether it be on paper or on the computer, no mater how hard I try. 

It happens to the best of us, right?


Plus, doodling is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment