Sunday, December 18, 2011

That's crazy talk.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm not one to take stupid risks. Even if you don't know me very well, just by seeing me in class I probably don't seem like one that gets a thrill out of taking mindless risks.


When is it better to avoid risk?


I'll tell you. It's better to avoid risks when the after effects will create more problems than the happiness you'll get from taking the risk in the first place. I've never understood the thrill teenagers get out of sneaking out, or doing things their parents wouldn't approve of behind their backs. Maybe I'm a scaredy-cat, but even if I were to sneak out, the thought of being caught would consume me completely and I wouldn't even be able to focus on having fun. 


Plus there's the fact that I would most probably get caught. My parents wouldn't just ground me; they'd lose their trust in me completely. That's something I never want to risk. 


When is it good to take risks? I'm not trying to be pretentious and act all high and mighty because I don't take risks, or look down on people that do take the risks that I wouldn't. The risks I would take are ones that have a chance in positive feedback. I want to take risks like the ones where we have to take in our essay: there's a chance that I'll have a great essay, but there's also a chance that people will think of me differently. That's okay. At least there's a possibility that something good will come out of it.


Every risk is scary, though. 
There's the risk of going to college and pursuing an education that won't result in a good job for me. That's okay, I want to do it. If I didn't study what I loved and just studied something that would result in a successful career, I would be unhappy. That's a risk I'm willing to take. 

No comments:

Post a Comment